Friday, February 4, 2011

Meeting Mr. Halderman - Surfing in SL & the SLSA

I met Abel Halderman - director of the SLSA and team member of Tsunami - to learn more about reasons to surf pro surfing in Second Life. I surf myself since 2009, but I'm still an amateur. That's why I tried to understand how pro surfing is organized in Second Life. As well I took a trip to different Surf spots with Mr. Halderman, who could tell lots of stories about those. I will write about that one in the next post.



Mr. Halderman, how long have you surfed in sl?
Abel Halderman: It's December 2010 now...
/comment Yes, I am late with publishing, but started research early ;-)
Abel Halderman: Hmm...
Abel Halderman: It must have been 3 years since I started.
Abel Halderman: It was kind of different back then.
Nadja Revnik: In what way?
Abel Halderman: Well...
/comment as you will find out...one of his favorite words ;-)
Abel Halderman: First of all it was all new to me.
Abel Halderman: When I first surfed the Epic...
Abel Halderman: I just loved the sound it made.
Abel Halderman: It was all just a new experience.
Nadja Revnik: ;-)
Abel Halderman: And of course we had only three kinds of waves.
Nadja Revnik: Which ones?
Abel Halderman: None of them were sculpted.
Abel Halderman: It was pipeline, fluffy and epic.
Nadja Revnik: Was Majini there already those days?
/comment Majini - a loved and lost surfspot where many pros started their carrier.
Abel Halderman: Yes.
Abel Halderman: Majini was the surf central.
Nadja Revnik: I started there as well, but never became more than an amateur ;-)
Abel Halderman: Everybody surfed there.
Abel Halderman: hehe
Abel Halderman: And that was the place where I competed for the very first time.
Nadja Revnik: Why do you ride in competitions?
Abel Halderman: Oh, I haven't for a while.
Abel Halderman: Just had my season off.
Abel Halderman: Generally...
Abel Halderman: I think for me there are a few resons:
Abel Halderman: I do it for fun.
Abel Halderman: My fun comes from seeing friends, competing... the thrill that comes with it.
Abel Halderman: And I do it for the party waves :-)
Nadja Revnik: heh
/comment the interviewer likes to laugh
Abel Halderman: Ok, and I like to represent my team.
Abel Halderman: ;-)
Nadja Revnik: Was the community much different in earlier days?
Nadja Revnik: What's your team btw?
Abel Halderman: Tsunami
Nadja Revnik: Ah...
Abel Halderman: So much has changed since then:
Abel Halderman: waves, boards, beaches.
Abel Halderman: A lot of people have disapeared from SL.
Abel Halderman: Some stayed.
Abel Halderman: Was it different though?
Abel Halderman: Hmm...
/comment I could see heavy wrinkles at that time on Mr. Haldermans youthful avatar skin ;-)
Abel Halderman: Objectively, not really
Nadja Revnik: And why did you start surfing those days? Special occasion?
Abel Halderman: This is a funny part.
Abel Halderman: Originally I was an art gallery owner...
Abel Halderman: or manager.
Nadja Revnik: Ah, me once, too.
Abel Halderman: Around Christmas 2007 I was looking for a perfect gift for my friend.
Abel Halderman: And I thought...
Abel Halderman: how about a surfboard?
Nadja Revnik: sl gf?
/comment I just asked this, cause prolly all female readers would be interested to know, maybe most likely his recent fiance ;-)
Abel Halderman: I knew she liked surfing.
Abel Halderman: Let's say a female friend.
Abel Halderman: Details aside ;-)
Abel Halderman: Anyway...
Nadja Revnik: heh
Abel Halderman: how do I get a surfboard that she would like?
Abel Halderman: I mean with a texture I would choose?
Abel Halderman: That is how I met Sebastian Saramago...
Abel Halderman: the guy who basically created SL surfing
Nadja Revnik: ah ;-)
Abel Halderman: along with Heather Goodliffe.
Abel Halderman: So I met Seb and he made a beautiful board for me.
Abel Halderman: I may still have some pictures.
Abel Halderman: If you visit the SLSA Hall of Fame...
Abel Halderman: and find Sebastian Saramago's plague...
Abel Halderman: the board's image is in the picture.
Abel Halderman: :-)
Abel Halderman: Cherry blossom one.
Abel Halderman: So..
Abel Halderman: I think a few days later I met Seb at some beach
Abel Halderman: and he gave me my first surfboard.
Abel Halderman: I still love that board.
Abel Halderman: Da Cat I think was the name..
Abel Halderman: and we surfed for a while.
Abel Halderman: I think that was the moment when I got addicted.
Abel Halderman: hehe
Abel Halderman: But it's taken me a long time to learn how to surf.
Nadja Revnik: Do you surf in rl as well?
Abel Halderman: I tired...
Nadja Revnik: in your youth? ,-P
Abel Halderman: but I am really bad at that
Abel Halderman: LOL!
Abel Halderman: hey
Nadja Revnik: heh
Abel Halderman: I'm only 31!
/comment youth is relative ;-)
Abel Halderman: ROFL
Nadja Revnik: oh heh
Nadja Revnik: I'm in an ageless zone today I guess.
Abel Halderman: lol
Nadja Revnik: What makes surfing in SL special for you?
Abel Halderman: In comparision to other SL activities?
Nadja Revnik: mh
Nadja Revnik: Good question.
Nadja Revnik: More in general.
Abel Halderman: I guess I could as well be a simboarder or a sailor on here.
Abel Halderman: Generally it's the atmosphere
Abel Halderman: and the people.
Abel Halderman: Like I said I really ended up in the surfing community by accident.
Abel Halderman: What made me stay?
Abel Halderman: First I wanted to learn how to surf
Abel Halderman: cos it was darn difficult for me.
Abel Halderman: Then I met the people.
Abel Halderman: So I guess the answer would be: the surfers
Abel Halderman: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sebsaramago/2201537716/in/set-72157603712541515/
Abel Halderman: That is Seb's HoF picture...
Abel Halderman: with a tiny image of the cherry blossom board Seb made for me.
Nadja Revnik: You are director of the SLSA atm?
Abel Halderman: There are 5 directors in the SLSA at the same time
/comment I forgot to ask about the yearly income...sorry ;-)
Nadja Revnik: What's your job there?
Abel Halderman: Well...
Abel Halderman: the SLSA is about two things mostly:
Abel Halderman: organizing competitions,
Abel Halderman: and promoting surfing in SL.
Abel Halderman: In general that is a director's job.
Abel Halderman: Specifically...
Nadja Revnik: So thats why you teach?
Abel Halderman: I think I have already done everything in the SLSA.
Abel Halderman: Well...
Abel Halderman: I am performing a role of the Human Resources Officer on the SLSA Board of Directors...
Abel Halderman: which primarily is about recruiting and training competition officers.
Abel Halderman: But...
Abel Halderman: I kind of extended the role to training new surfers...
Abel Halderman: cos I simply like doing it.
Nadja Revnik: Can i join a lecture..maybe it keeps me away from being lazy.
Abel Halderman: hehe
Abel Halderman: Sure.
Abel Halderman: But it's not a lecture.
Abel Halderman: Well, maybe in part it is...
Abel Halderman: especially basic level classes.
Abel Halderman: Gotta know what you're doing before you start doing it.
/comment was this a hint on my surfing qualities? ;-)
Abel Halderman: ;-)
Nadja Revnik: I try knowing what I'm doing ;-)
Abel Halderman: There are no regular days and times.
Abel Halderman: lol
Abel Halderman: Kantbe Thursday, who is also a SLSA Director and Communication Officer, announced the classes via the group, SL events, website.
Abel Halderman: So it's hard to miss them :-)
Nadja Revnik: Which group?
Abel Halderman: SL Surfing Association
Nadja Revnik: The last formal question for the interview:
Nadja Revnik: why do you think people engage in sports in SL in general?
Abel Halderman: Well...
Abel Halderman: I think everybody has their own reasons.
Abel Halderman: Surfing?
Nadja Revnik: I want yours.
Abel Halderman: Often people just can't do it in RL.
Abel Halderman: That's why they do it in SL...
Abel Halderman: so I guess it is a substitute of a RL experience for them.
Abel Halderman: Other people just want to meet a lot of new friends interested in the same thing...
Abel Halderman: or be in a huge community of surfers, sailors, racers etc.
Abel Halderman: Ok, and for some it is an arcade game, too.

Nadja Revnik: Thank you for the interview Mr. Halderman ;-)




Up next: surf safari with Mr. Halderman...don't miss to read about famous surf spots and their history!

No comments:

Post a Comment